I have been in private practice as a psychotherapist since 2007, having trained in Core Process Psychotherapy at the Karuna Institute in Devon, UK. This four-year training led to full registration as an accredited psychotherapist with UKCP (the United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy) as well as an MA in Psychotherapy.
I have completed a Certificate in Mindfulness-based Supervision, a UKCP-recognised training run by OPAL in Bath, UK and am also on the Association of Core Process Psychotherapists’ (ACPP) and Humanistic and Integrative Psychotherapy College’s (HIPC) directories as a Recognised Training Supervisor (RTS). More information about my supervision practice can be found here.
I have over 13 years’ experience of working within the community/charity sector in the field of mental health. This has included setting up and managing a mental health project that provided a range of services for individuals and families needing support, as well as providing individual and group supervision for counsellors working with trauma and sexual abuse. This work has exposed me to a variety of therapeutic approaches and also introduced me to some of the issues, opportunities and challenges inherent in organisational development, partnership working and the provision of community mental health services.
I have since received additional training in a number of areas, including building resilience skills, conception and birth process (pre- and peri-natal psychology), working with anger, difference and diversity, solutions focussed work, attachment, sexuality and working with mythology and the Deep Imagination.
I am currently Chair of the Association of Core Process Psychotherapists (ACPP), an Organisational Member of UKCP that is tasked with overseeing and maintaining the ethical standards and supporting the good practice of its registered members.
In addition to psychotherapy, I am passionate about theatre and dance and have an ongoing meditation, dance and hatha yoga practice.
Relevant Professional Qualifications/Associations
- MA Psychotherapy (Middlesex, UK)
- 4-year Professional Training in Core Process Psychotherapy (Karuna Institute, UK)
- Certificate in Mindfulness-based Supervision (OPAL, UK) (Recognised Training Supervisor)
- BA (Honours Degree) (Psychology) (Rhodes University, South Africa)
- BA (Drama and Psychology) (Rhodes University, South Africa)
- Full membership of the United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) as an Accredited Core Process Psychotherapist within the Humanistic and Integrative Psychotherapy College (HIPC) (Registration Number: 2010161288)
- Full membership of the Association of Core Process Psychotherapists (ACPP)
- Full membership of Counsellors and Psychotherapists in Private Practice (CAPPP)
To ensure I am practicing safely and to the best of my ability, I receive regular clinical supervision and attend a number of professional development courses. I feel that this is essential to my practice and growth as a psychotherapist. I am up-to-date on current policies around confidentiality and data protection and am registered as a Data Controller with the Information Commissioners Office (ICO). I also hold professional indemnity insurance and abide by the Association of Core Process Psychotherapist’s and UKCP’s ethical codes.