I first came across Core Process Psychotherapy while on a yoga retreat in South Africa, where I was living at the time. I was drawn to the way it integrated psychology with Buddhism and mindfulness, as well as its emphasis on embodied spirituality. This dovetailed with my own background in psychology, as well as my interest in yoga and training in dance.
So, in 2003 I made the decision to move to the UK to train in this modality at the Karuna Institute in Devon. The four-and-a-half year training – as it was then – led to full registration as an accredited psychotherapist with UKCP (the United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy), as well as an MA in Psychotherapy.
I have been in private practice as a psychotherapist since 2007. Since then, I have also completed a Certificate in Mindfulness-based Supervision and am a UKCP/HIPC Recognised Training Supervisor (RTS). More information about my supervision practice can be found here.
I was formerly Chair of the Association of Core Process Psychotherapists (ACPP), an Organisational Member of UKCP that is tasked with overseeing and maintaining the ethical standards and supporting the good practice of its registered members.
I have over 15 years’ experience working within the mental health field in the community/charity sector in Bristol. This includes setting up and managing a Big Lottery-funded mental health project that provided a range of services for individuals and families needing support, as well as providing supervision for a charity specialising in working with survivors of trauma and sexual abuse.
In addition to psychotherapy, I am passionate about theatre and dance and have an ongoing meditation, dance and yoga practice.
Relevant Professional Qualifications/Associations
- MA Psychotherapy (Middlesex, UK)
- Professional Training in Core Process Psychotherapy (Karuna Institute, UK)
- Certificate in Mindfulness-based Supervision (OPAL, UK) (Recognised Training Supervisor)
- BA (Honours Degree) (Psychology) (Rhodes University, South Africa)
- BA (Drama and Psychology) (Rhodes University, South Africa)
- Full membership of the United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) as an Accredited Core Process Psychotherapist within the Humanistic and Integrative Psychotherapy College (HIPC) (Registration Number: 2010161288)
- Full membership of the Association of Core Process Psychotherapists (ACPP)
- Full membership of Counsellors and Psychotherapists in Private Practice (CAPPP)
To ensure I am practicing safely and to the best of my ability, I receive regular clinical supervision and continue to learn through various professional development courses and activities. I feel that this is essential to my psychotherapy practice and to my own personal growth. I am up-to-date on current policies around confidentiality and data protection and am registered as a Data Controller with the Information Commissioners Office (ICO). I also hold professional indemnity insurance and abide by the Association of Core Process Psychotherapist’s and UKCP’s ethical codes.