A brief personal history
I was born and grew up in the mid-1970’s in a small, rural town in South Africa.
I originally studied psychology, theatre and dance but then discovered a Foundation Training in Core Process Psychotherapy that was being run at a local Buddhist Retreat Centre. After completing the course, I decided to emigrate to the UK to retrain as a psychotherapist at the Karuna Institute in Devon.
In addition to psychotherapy, I remain passionate about theatre and dance and have an ongoing meditation, dance and hatha yoga practice.
I have been in private practice as a psychotherapist since 2007, having trained in Core Process Psychotherapy at the Karuna Institute in Devon, UK. This four-year training led to full registration as an accredited psychotherapist with UKCP (the United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy) as well as an MA in Psychotherapy.
I have completed a Certificate in Mindfulness-based Supervision, a UKCP-recognised training run by OPAL in Bath (UK). More information about my supervision practice can be found here.
I’ve previously worked for eleven years for a charity that delivers services in areas of health inequality and deprivation in Bristol. During this time, I set up and managed a project to deliver a wide range of mental health services for individuals and families, by working in partnership with the community sector, Bristol City Council and the NHS.
I have since received additional training in the following areas:
- Building resilience skills
- Conception and birth process
- Working with anger
- Difference and diversity
- Mythology and the Deep Imagination.
I am currently serving as Vice-Chair on the Management Committee of the Association of Core Process Psychotherapists (ACPP), a professional association that is tasked with overseeing and maintaining the ethical standards and supporting the good practice of its registered members.
Relevant Professional Qualifications/Associations
- MA Psychotherapy (Middlesex, UK)
- 4-year Professional Training in Core Process Psychotherapy (Karuna Institute, UK)
- Certificate in Mindfulness-based Supervision (OPAL, UK)
- BA (Honours Degree) (Psychology) (Rhodes University, South Africa)
- BA (Drama and Psychology) (Rhodes University, South Africa)
- Full membership of United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) as an Accredited Core Process Psychotherapist
- Full membership of the Association of Core Process Psychotherapists (ACPP)
- Full membership of Counsellors and Psychotherapists in Private Practice (CAPPP)
To ensure I am practicing safely and to the best of my ability, I receive regular clinical supervision and attend a number of professional development courses. I feel that this is essential to my practice and growth as a psychotherapist. I am up-to-date on current policies around confidentiality and data protection and am registered as a Data Controller with the Information Commissioners Office (ICO). I also hold professional indemnity insurance and abide by the Association of Core Process Psychotherapist’s and UKCP’s Codes of Ethics.